What Equipment Do I Need To Curl?
First Time Curlers
Items for you to bring for your first time curling:
- Warm, loose-fitting clothes (sweatshirt, sweater, light jacket) Note: Jeans / denim is not recommended.
- Gloves & an optional hat
- Clean sneakers or rubber-soled shoes with warm socks
- A good nature and sense of humor with a willingness to try something unique
Items we’ll supply:
- Great ice
- Curling stones
- Step-on sliders for delivery
- Sweeping brooms for sweeping hard!
- Volunteer members with enthusiastic instruction
Basic Equipment for Regular Curlers
If you decide curling is for you there are two basic pieces of equipment you'll need:
- Curling shoes with attached slider: Sliders are usually made of teflon or stainless steel.
- Removable gripper (anti-slider) to cover your slider foot while you are not throwing your stones.
- Broom: Curling brooms come in a variety of weights and materials including fiberglass and carbon fiber. Modern curling brooms use a cloth head.
Additional equipment you may want:
- Broom head cover to keep your broom clean while not in use.
- Extra broom heads. A dirty broom head is an ineffective broom head.
- Gloves with a grippy surface. Baseball batting gloves or outdoor work gloves can be an option for this.
- Stop watch for timing rocks.
- Directions for making your own stabilizer
Online Curling Supply Stores
Several web sites for curling supply stores offer a wider range of items. There may be extra charges for shipping and handling. Shipping from the U.S. may be easier than from Canada, so ask about customs and import duties.